This post has three sections first I’ll talk about what applications have a great success in the Android Market and in the second section the more interesting part will be discussed “How to make Money with Android?” and at the end of the post you’ll find a little comparison between AdMob and MobFox, the two main mobile advertiser in the Android world.
What apps does the market want?
As you can see in my released application list, I experimented quite a lot with different type of Android applications. I wanted to know, what apps are welcome by the market and which ones almost rejected. Here are some points a noticed:
- I realized is that if you release games you’ll get a sh*tload of downloads, which on one hand is great, but on the other hand it’ll result in a big churn. The Booby Grabber for example had a churn of 80%.
- This brings me to directly to the next point, PORN on the Android market is not allowed, even tough there is a possibility to class your applications in different age levels, no PORN is allowed. I personally think that everything in direction adult, has a big potential, as shown by my little game Booby Grabber.
- What concerns games, there is this trend that the simpler the game is the more people will like it/download it. I think this is mostly because people don’t need highend graphics games on their phones or some ultra-sophisticated game, I think a game on a phone has to be seen as a past timer and nothing more -> The simpler the better. But simple does not mean to be crappy… By simple I mean not tiring.
- Utilities people use often (like e.g. a torch) always are a success, since it can be that your application is the only one working on a specified phone.
- Test you applications! Crashing applications get in 1..2..3.. bad ratings, this means test them as much as you can before releasing! I mean you know android with its thousand of devices, it is very likely your application will crash somewhere. I already wrote an article about this topic here: http://papers.ch/?p=498
And now to the sexy part
How to make Money with Android?
- There are two ways to make money with an android application either you sell your application or you do some advertising.
- I you decide to create a paid application you have to face the fact, that you’ll need to spend some money on advertising, otherwise no one will download you application and your work was in vain… Beside that watch out because paid apps are likely to be copied and released for free!
- The android market offers a lot more free applications than any other market, guess why? Because Android users are not willing to pay as much as Iphone/Blackberry users. So does this mean you can forget doing money with android development? WRONG! The key is in advertising! Simply register to MobFox (for FREE) implement the SDK and start making some real money!
AdMob vs. MobFox, which one is better?
I used AdMob for about 2 years now and honestly, I was happy with it: easy to implement, regular SDK updates, regular payments. But there was one thing with AdMob, I had about 5’000’000 monthly impressions but gained about 6 $ a day. I just thought “ok well with advertisements you simply don’t do that much money”.
Then I tried MobFox and everything changed They also have an easy SDK, they also pay regularly but guess what THEY PAY MORE! I’m really impressed on how good MobFox is, my incomes just increased with a factor 5!!! And hell yes this is sexy! You can even set up MobFox to show AdMob/Google ads if no MobFox ad can be displayed, how awesome is that?!?